AIS Radar for Your iPhone
- Real time map view of you and boats near you via AIS.
- Over the horizon collision avoidance and alarm using Closest Point of Approach (CPA)
- CPA calculations and AIS position updates continously in background
- Compass mode to sight ships on the map
- Collision avoidance using Closest Point of Approach (CPA)
- Let Friends and Family see where you are and where you're headed on BoatBeacon and Global AIS Systems.
- Current Speed, Course and GPS location
- Man Overboard tracking
- Anchor Watch and Theft Alarms
- Ship to Ship instant messaging - chat with other Boat Beacon boats.
- Magnetic or True North setting
- MMSI numbers to contact nearby boats on via VHF.
With transmit enabled your boat will appear on other Boat Beacon devices. If you enable AIS sharing and have an MMSI number your boat will also appear on live
AIS traffic sites like the following and their associated mobile applications:-
To be seen on Internet AIS systems you must have a valid MMSI number for your boat.
You can normally get one for free. In the US you can obtain a free one in minutes by visiting
the USCG approved
agent and using their online form. In the UK visit
iPhone or iPad with Compass and GPS. e.g. iPhone 3GS, 4 or later. Internet connection.
A live internet connection to show other boats. Fortunately Cellular data coverage extends upto 15 miles out to sea and most popular boating areas are covered.
Check out these coverage maps:-
See coverage for AT&T around New
Cellular coverage out to see around Los Angeles and San Diego
The majority of the UK coast has coverage.
Here's the coverage for one of the top UK carriers, Vodafone UK
N.B. Your boat will not show up on other Ship based AIS systems (unless they are linked to a common Global AIS system).
License and disclaimer
NOT FOR NAVIGATION
This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY. Boat Beacon should not be relied upon to determine precise locations, proximity, distance, or direction or make navigational decisions. The author assumes no liability for damages arising from use of this program.
AIS data is sourced from a variety of voluntary shore stations across the world and there is no guarantee of service or availability.
The accuracy of digital compass headings can be affected by magnetic or other environmental interference, including interference caused by proximity to the magnets contained in the iPhone earbuds. The compass may need to be calibrated from time to time. When the device displays the calibration alert, move the device in a figure 8 motion until the calibration screen disappears.
See http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2767 for more information.